Insights from DCS
Knowledge for the information generation
Robotic Process Automation for Content Migration
In this knowledge economy content is an invaluable asset but managing it can be tedious and expensive. For example, think about how your website content has grown over the years and if you were to migrate the content to a new content management system, the cost of migration might be comparable or even more than the cost of the system implementation.
The process of content migration is either carried out manually where you manually cut, copy and paste content from one system to another, or - if you’re lucky to have some technical support available for your marketing function - you might be able to transfer content using a custom built API. Building an API is an expensive process and might delay migration because of the added dependency on technical team members. However, that is not the end to all the troubles for a marketer managing a migration project because even with a custom API, there will be some sections of the content which might not be a simple transfer and would thus require manual intervention.
Robotic process automation for content migration offers a quick alternative that does not require ongoing involvement from the IT department. Once it has been set up the robots can carry on the migration interacting with the content management system in the same way as a human would - you imagine the robot with two open screens, copying text and images from a text document or html code and transferring the content into designated templates into the new content management system. It can be used to migrate content from web or enterprise content management systems and the migration is carried out with an API or using an XML loader.
The added advantage of having a robot is that it can run tirelessly through the night resulting in cutting down the migration time. The robot can be configured to be assisted by humans so they can clear any exceptions. The use case seems irresistible for anyone in the marketing function stuck with an old clunky cms, a hard coded website or an inflexible document management system.
Other advantages of using robotic process automation for content migration include:
- Reduced content freeze time - because the process of migration is quick and robust, marketers can significantly cut down on content freeze time reducing the negative effect it might have on Google rankings.
- Easy to find and replace functionality helps trim content as needed so you can rationalise content as you migrate
- It allows bulk uploads of content to the new system along with the metadata for search engine optimisation. The migration can be seen as an opportunity to change metadata with latest keywords and optimise the website for search engines.
- Automatic back-ups ensure no data is deleted and historical data can be retrieved if needed.
Reduce the risk of losing data from your next migration project and take assistance from a robot to complete your content migration project quickly and efficiently. There are various RPA tools available in the market today, read the blog to help select one that's best suited for your requirement.
- Robotic Process Automation